Friday, August 3, 2007

Yesterday we had an appointment with Susquehanna Service Dogs about the possibility of receiving a service dog for our son Jonathan. Jonathan has autism, a neurological condition that affects almost every facet of his life. While researching different interventions, we discovered that service dogs are being used more and more frequently, to help children and adults who have autism and other similar disabilities. The meeting went great, Jonathan was a changed little boy in the presence of the two dogs. It was simply amazing to both me and my wife. We were told that it cost between $17-$20,000 to train these dogs for the services that they do. I about fell over in my chair. It was then explained to us that we as a family would be responsible for $5,000 of the fee. I didn't quite fall that far out of my chair that time. With grants that we were told that can take up a year, another $4,500 would be paid for leaving us to pay $500. The problem is the time frame. The way I saw Jonathan's face light up and his attitude change, I decided right then and there that we would raise the $5,000 as fast as possible. This is where the next chapter of our lives take us. Raising funds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com
Google